Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Conundrum

     In early November I happened to spot a good deal on boxed Christmas cards and purchased them on the spot since I found some I liked.  I put them away when I got home and didn't think about them again.  A week ago, when I got down my box of Christmas wrapping for the first time, I discovered I had already bought a supply of cards--probably at the end of last Christmas season.  While they looked a bit familiar, I really couldn't recall having bought them.  Then, as I continued to look through the box, I discovered at least 20 cards (I didn't actually count them) that I had addressed but never wrote nor sent.  These included some addressed to family members and close friends.  I don't have any explanation for why these never got sent, nor do I know in what year I neglected to finish these.  Was it last year?  And if so, what was going on that led to this incompleteness?  If it were THIS year, I would certainly think it was related to the loss of Bob and my lack of desire to write cards--but that is not the case.  I am actually about to begin my cards later this evening.
     So was life more hectic, was I more frazzled than I recall in one of the last couple of Christmas seasons?  I know that Bob was in the hospital in December of 2014--was that the year I didn't finish this project?  At this point, it certainly doesn't really matter, although I have been mildly bothered by my lack of any memory of how this could have happened.  One friend laughingly remarked that this is how "old folks" end up with lots of unused, unneeded items in their homes which their families may discover when helping them move or cleaning out their homes after they've died.  At any rate, my heartfelt apologies to any family or friends who didn't receive our card some recent Christmas.  I have written on the November and December pages in my 2018 calendar:  DO NOT buy Christmas cards!  Hopefully, that will help, come this time next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment