Friday, June 9, 2017

Decor with a Message


Last evening I came home from the support group I attend each month and found this arrangement on the kitchen windowsill.  My first reaction was a chuckle and the thought that once again Bob had been rearranging things around the house--something he is doing a lot of lately.   Usually, his placement of things puzzles me or even annoys me.  But this time, it first amused me, then it amazed me.  The reason for my amazement was that it eventually dawned on me that in the Buddhist meditation classes Bob and I have attended, there is an expression "monkey mind" which refers to the mind's tendency to run on out of control, especially when one is trying to empty the mind and focus solely on the breath, or on loving-kindness, for example.  This made me wonder whether something deep inside Bob's brain saw that same connection as a reason for placing this mini-gorilla next to the laughing Buddha.   I'll never know for sure, but I've left these two together as a reminder not to let "monkey mind" rule the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment