Monday, June 26, 2017

Love, Light our Way

     Late last week, Bob developed two infections.  Over the weekend, he struggled mightily and has responded somewhat to a course of antibiotics.  But the respiratory infection (and/or possibly lung cancer) is still causing him a great deal of discomfort, especially from hard, tortuous coughing.  He has eaten very little the past several days, and can barely take the smallest sips of water. He rallied a little bit today, and was mostly awake during the several hours of our grandson Frankie's visit.  He even managed to get up in the wheelchair for a couple of hours, to cruise around the facility for about 20 minutes, and to eat half a bowl of chocolate ice cream.  But then he wound down and slept fitfully the rest of the afternoon. Pain medication finally helped relax him around 6:00 p.m. The time is upon us to make him as comfortable as possible and to celebrate in his hearing all the love and joy he has brought into our lives as well as the love with which we surround him.


2 comments:

  1. Caryl, I just saw these posts---I had no idea you and Bob and the family are going thru this. It sounds awful, tiresome and probably worrisome---the whole financial side. I will be praying for a good outcome from the VA application by the facility. I am not surprised people around you are trying to help---you are such good people. I miss you guys. And I wonder, what the heck am I depressed for!!! What you are going thru--being a caregiver and now having to make all these decisions. I remember when you first started dating Bob---how cute it was---a romance. And Carol W. telling me that she missed her time with you. It was a natural break to spend the time with your new found love. Has it really been 31 years already! Your heart has always been in the right place, and these times will just have to be. I love you and will try to figure out a way I can help if even a little. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caryl,
    You have been through so much. My heart is breaking for you. I know this disease is terrible, and I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through. Your caring and love for Bob is helping him through this. I am grateful to know you have caring friends near you to care for YOU!! I am sending lots of love and prayers for you and Bob, that he continue to be in good hands in the nursing facility, that you continue to find strength and peace, and that the VA will be able to assist you in Taos!!
    Love and hugs,
    Your niece Jessica

    ReplyDelete